Teacher Assistant in Mathematics and Science (TeAMS)
What is TeAMS?
TeAMS is a paid early field experience for future K-12 STEM teachers. As a TeAMS participant, you will get a first hand look at running a classroom, and work as both a teacher's assistant and a tutor in local* 7th-12th grade classrooms.
TeAMS is offered Fall, Winter, & Spring quarters. Students may participate in up to three quarters, but participation does not have to be consecutive quarters (e.g., a student may participate in Fall, and again in Spring). Pay rate is $12.50/hour!
*Placements may be as far North as Paso Robles or as far South as Guadalupe. Arrangements can be made for those utilizing public transportation.
In the 1-unit seminar (Wednesdays, 4-6 pm), you will discuss teaching, learning, & your experiences at the school site, plus receive info about other opportunities for future teachers! Homework assignments will be given and class participation is expected.
Who Should Participate?
Cal Poly students who have a desire to work with 7th-12th grade students and want to gain practical, hands-on experience to help them decide if teaching is the right career for them.
- Any undergraduate Science, Math, or Engineering related major thinking about the possibility of becoming a 7th-12th grade Science or Math teacher
- Second, Third, or Fourth-Year Liberal Studies majors planning to obtain an FLGS or an ISMA in Science or Math to add on to their Multiple Subject Teaching Credential*
*Liberal Studies math and/or science class requirements must be completed prior to application.
How do I Register?
Applications are typically considered for the following quarter. Spring applications will be considered for Fall of the following academic year.
- Complete the application, which can be found here. Applications for participation in Spring 2017 are due March 26, 2017.
- Sign up for an information session (TBD)
- Enroll in the TeAMS Seminar (SCM 220-01)
- Complete hiring paperwork* and sign up for Live Scan
- Submission of finalized Cal Poly schedule is due the second week of quarter of participation
- Once a school placement has been designated to you, complete necessary requirements for your school site (found below)
*You must provide valid documentation authorizing your eligibility to work in the United States when completing this paperwork
You must obtain clearance to work at the school site by completing the following:
- Live Scan or other fingerprint clearance (two are required-one for Cal Poly and one for your placement site)
- TB Clearance
Your school's district-required paperwork
TeAMS in the News:
Who Do I Contact?
Application Process & Payroll
Contact: Jenny Cruz
For All Other Questions
Contact: Dave Buck Moyer and/or Terry Elfrink
- Building 25, Room 124